Sunday, August 10, 2008

Working outside my comfort zone

This card is for the first challenge on Stamping Links to Love (SCTL1), which is to create "outside of the box", aka your comfort zone. Well this card definitely fits in that category!

1. It's round.
2. I sewed on it.
3. The circles aren't all symmetrical (if you know me, you know this is a huge deal for me).
4. Aside from the ribbon and thread, there's no embellishment. No brads, eyelets, stickers, glitter, anything!

I started with one of the Carousel Notes from SU, and cut three smaller circles from cardstock and DSP. I stamped the image from Summer by Sea, and used my ink pads and blender pen to watercolour. I need more practice with watercolouring. I used my Marvy Giga scalloped circle punch to punch out the image, and then coloured the edge with my Chocolate Chip marker. Did I mention I just ordered 10 SU markers?

I really wanted to center all the circles, but it just didn't look right, so I moved them all to the side. Then I pulled out my mother-in-law's sewing machine (I'm borrowing it, but I need one for myself!)sewed them together. Then I sewed a couple times around the scalloped circle.

The green scalloped circle is the back of the card, and the brown circle forms the front of the card. I scored a line just off the edge, and sewed the two together, adding some Soft Sky ribbon for a bit of embellishment.
Stamps: Summer by the Sea
Paper: Wild Wasabi Carousel Note, Chocolate Chip, Groovy Guava, & Whisper White cardstock, Afternoon Tea DSP
Ink: Wild Wasabi, Chocolate Chip, Groovy Guava, Soft Sky (SU), Timber Brown (Staz-On)
Accessories: marker, ribbon (SU)
Techniques: sewing, watercolouring

6 comments:

Theresa Momber said...

Good job! This is fantastic and you really made a great effort to work out of your comfort zone. Thanks for playing!

Annapurna said...

Great job with all those first times. I understand how difficult it is to be asymmetrical. I am that way too.

Deb Neerman said...

Kewl card, love it!!

Allison Rankin said...

Great idea sewing twice around the circle...looks unique despite it having a lot of standard SU items!

Misty said...

LOVE THE CIRCLES! I'm such a sucker for them.
Misty

Debbie Olson said...

I love circles and sewing on cards--you have a winner here!