Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tropical Sunset

Since I've been back, I couldn't find my mojo, so I decided tonight I would kick start it with a challenge: Zindorf style. Yeah, way to ease myself back into the crafts room! ;)

The wonderful people at Penguin Pants Stamps asked me to try out one of their sets, and I chose Aloha Paradise. A bit out of my normal style, but I love the images - and would love to be on a beach right now!

I started with Amy's Friday Sketch (AMYRS60) and grabbed my brayer and sponges. After playing with the brayer for a bit, this is what I came up with:
Don't you think this would make a great summer birthday card? Yum. I can taste the mojitos now.

Stamps: Aloha Paradise (Penguin Pants Stamps)
Paper: More Mustard, Ruby Red, Old Olive, Close to Cocoa, Whisper White (SU)
Ink: So Saffron, Only Orange, Summer Sun, Brilliant Blue, Basic Black, Pink Passion, More Mustard, Creamy Carmel, Tempting Turquoise, Yoyo Yellow
(SU), VersaMark (Tsukineko)
Accessories: 1 3/8" circle punch, sponges, Certainly Celery, Old Olive, Close to Cocoa, Chocolate Chip markers (SU), Floral Screen embossing folder, CB (Provocraft), clear embossing powder (Ranger), dew drops (Robin's Nest), VersaMark pen (Tsukineko), white Glaze pen (Sakura), corner rounder punch (EK Success), heat tool (Marvy Uchida)

I stamped the tree in VersaMark, then black, and embossed. Then I coloured with markers - trying a bit of shading - and then covered that in VersaMark using the pen, and embossed again.

Lots of brayering and sponging for the sand, water, and sky. I masked off the sun, and used my white Glaze pen at the surf line (I love how that looks!).

All of the above is all from Michelle Zindorf's blog/techniques. The rest of the card is fairly obvious. The only thing I couldn't work in from the sketch was the ribbon. Oh well, I'm very happy with how it turned out!

Penguin Pants (don't you just love the name?) have a wide range of styles, from fun, cartoon-ish drawings to very realistic, gorgeous images. Another personal favourite is Cheers. Can't you just see a yummy margarita, complete with salt (glitter) on the rim?

You may remember this card I did, featuring Around the Farm. See what I mean about cute images? I just want to squish that pig!

ps. Check out my blog counter. I'm almost at 10,000 hits!!! Look for a great giveaway to come as soon as the counter ticks over.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

oooh, beautiful card!!

congrats on reaching (almost) 10K hits!!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful card! I just love those gorgeous colors!!!

Amber said...

Awesome card, makes me think warm, sunny spots.

Leanne said...

Love the colours and wishing I was drinking on a beach right now! Maybe I'll go try and make a card right now!

Rachel said...

Wow! what a beautiful card, love the bright colors!!

Yankee in England said...

wow what a beautiful card! Really fun.

AmyR said...

I'm right with you - it's blizzarding here and I would LOVE to be on a warm beach somewhere!!!

Thanks for playing along with my sketch - your card rocks!!

JLR said...

Love the color combo. I've never been brave enough to try brayering but you did a great job!